GRUB vs LILO and how STUPID the X86 architecture really is...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 11:21:05 PDT 2002

On October 17, 2002 06:39 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> people keep saying that, but no-one seems to have a good reason WHY its
> crappy...

LILO is in my experiences very picky and difficult when it comes to disk
geometry. Countless times I've run /sbin/lilo I reboot and all I get are "01"
all over the screen. Great disk geom. mismatch. Why? Dunno. I boot from a
different media, go back to the LFS system check my lilo.conf which turns out
to be perfectly in order, rerun LILO, no go it still fails. Boot again
install Grub in MBR, boot, no problem anymore.

LILO is a bit over-sensitive sometimes and it's a stressing not knowing if
your system is going to boot again. I absolutely loathe having to update a
kernel on the LFS server. It still runs LILO and I don't want to touch it
with a ten foot pole in case it won't boot anymore. Sometimes there is no
choice but the stress...I could do without.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org