patch description missing for gcc

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 18 12:01:38 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:22:57 -0400 (EDT) Bill maltby - LFS Related
<lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

> Rock<->hard-spot. If you are trying to satisfy a more experienced
> community: a) they can read and understand the patch themselves;

Oh yeah? So "experienced user" implies being able to understand source
code patches deep inside gcc's or glibc's sources?
And of course it implies being intimately familiar with gcc's code
creation bugs and their workarounds. And obviously you need to memorize
the whole list of symbols exported by glibc 2.1.x and 2.2.x to be
considered an "experienced user".
Sorry, I don't buy it.
I think of myself as an experienced user (I may be wrong, though;) but I
find many of the LFS patches non-obvious. Of course I can read them and
see WHAT they do. But how am I supposed to know WHY  __mktime_internal has
to be replaced with __mktime_internal2 in the sh-utils sources in chapter
5?

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org