unstable branch for LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 13:10:59 PDT 2002

On October 15, 2002 02:39 pm, zigman2k wrote:
> isn't this discussion about stable/unstable book started because of the
> major gcc and glibc updates (especially the glibc part)... and how often
> are those "incompatible versions to previus versions" releases (like
> gcc-3.3 and glibc-2.3)? once every year or so ?

Not just those two packages. There are other things like coreutils, inetutils,
grub, newer tar, newer findutils and such. They are all not stable yet but
would be good to try out and make available somehow with a decent set of
instructions to build on LFS systems.

Also, sometimes we'd like to try out new things just to see if it works but we
can't mutilate the CVS version too much because it has to be usable towards a
new release. An unstable branch would allow us to do whatever we want and all
the interested people try it out in a convenient matter.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org