kbd-1.08 patch [was: Re: New kbd package release.]

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 18 13:14:55 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:41:05 -0600 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On October 15, 2002 03:50 pm, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > a) patch the manpage as in the patch I've posted. This would be
> > inconsistent with LFS systems so far and could be inconsistent with
> > future systems (when Andries Brouwer does something with kbd) but at
> > least the manpage would reflect the actual behaviour.
>
> I think that's the best option. We generally don't change a program's
> behaviour unless it's a blatant bug. Apparently the kbd behaviour is
> intentionally so we'll just have to live with it (from a book's
> perspective).

No, it's not intentional. As I've said in another message, AEB just
doesn't like the way I fixed it.

> > the real default keymap in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps. But who has
> > defkeymap.map files lying around outside of /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/?
>
> I dare to say pretty much nobody. Not enough to take into consideration.

Yes, that's why we could make our patch smaller by ignoring the issue
completely (i.e. don't even patch the manpage). I'm not sure what I prefer
personally. ATM (but could change any minute, after all I initially
suggested the manpage patch :-) I tend towards ignoring the issue. If we
patch the manpage we'd make a misbehaviour an official feature on LFS
systems. Keeping a bug that no one will ever notice seems to me (at least
ATM) to be preferable over turning it into a feature that may change in
the future.

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org