about patch descriptions

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at horizon.com.br
Fri Oct 18 14:38:56 PDT 2002

Em Sex, 18 Out 2002 15:02:31 -0600, Gerard Beekmans escreveu:
> The problem is: if you don't know any C, the "HOW" problems are resolved won't
> make much sense. You'd see things like "yeah we changed the X variable to Y
> minus the Z randomized variable to make function D more compatible with IEEE
> spec 185.15081.15".
>
> Ok that's total rubish but get the idea? It'll sound exactly like that to
> people who don't know C and C++ so they only get more confused. That's why we
> currently simply stick with "it fixes a compile problem when using this Glibc
> version or that GCC version". Yes it's vague but at least most people will
> get the idea of what's done. The HOW part is for the programmers can can just
> as easily view the patch in a pager or editor and see what parts of the code
> was changed.

Ok, I understand your point. But, suppose that: even if I'm an expert in
C/C++ or not, I may not understand the patcher's implementation, not
because of the code, but because of the way that he/she fixed the bug. I
will give an example about my point: GCC compilation in LFS book,
chapter 5. In "command explanations" section, I can see a link for more
datails about the patch. In the related site, I can access more detailed
explanation (like CERT advisories). I'm not requesting detailed
information on the book itself, just links that give me a real reason
why I apply these patches.

OK, I said to put this information directly on the book, but no need.
Just links.

--
Anderson Lizardo
Linux User #253643