opt dirs

Michaël Tousignant evanidus at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 19 06:59:37 PDT 2002

Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> /usr/local AND /opt are pretty pointless on an LFS system, really.

I really agree for /usr/local when we think of its actual purpose defined
in FHS. I personaly don't use it myself (some do for other purposes
however).

--

Yet, I "personaly" like /opt. I use it often to install messy (don't ask)
stuff or more importantly to easily install different version of packages

For example, I could want a /opt/glibc-2.3.1 for testing purposes and keep
using glibc-2.2.5 as main libc ;)

Note: I dislike to have extra packages subdirs in /usr/<package>, just seem
too messy to "me". But feels ok to me in /opt/<package> (as FHS suggests it)

But well, that is me (everyone's free to do what they want.)

-Evanidus
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org