"EOF"

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 19 14:26:37 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Ian Molton wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that using "EOF" in the book doesnt work?
>
> For example:
>
> cat > /usr/bin/lex << "EOF"
> #!/bin/sh
> # Begin /usr/bin/lex
>
> exec /usr/bin/flex -l "$@"
>
> # End /usr/bin/lex
> EOF

I don't know why you guys do it that way...  I *much* prefer so that it
remains visually obvious where the output is going.

cat << EOF > script.sh
#!/bin/sh
# Begin /usr/bin/lex

exec /usr/bin/flex -l "$@"

# End /usr/bin/lex
EOF

_However_ there's still the small matter of the dollar sign part of $@
needing to be escaped (\$@), and the EOF definitely doesn't need to be in
quotes.  ...and Bill was definitely right about the quotes around $@
messing up the way it gets passed to flex (making it one long argument
when it should be a list).

The only time you'd want to put quotes around that terminator token would
be if you wanted to annoy other programmers with trailing spaces.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org