opt dirs

Michaël Tousignant evanidus at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 20 02:20:30 PDT 2002

Archaic <archaic at comcast.net> wrote:

> If that's a symlink problem, then I must be extremely lucky. All of my
> LFS builds have symlinked /usr/local to /usr. Never has hurt a single
> thing. I believe you have an imlib error on your hands, not a problem
> with the symlink.

Just a quick comment to remind of something. By doing a symlink from
/usr/local to /usr and if "moreover" you install things without worring
about the installation prefix. These might hardcode paths leading to
certain things under these causing them to pass by a symlink each time
they want to use it. Although it is not really noticable, it still waste
a little ressources for nothing and make things somewhat "unclean".

I personaly don't use /usr/local but ain't making it a symlink to /usr.

Yet, everyone's free to do what they want. Was just a small comment.

-Evanidus
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org