GRUB vs. LILO and how STUPID the X86 architecture really is...

David Lautenschlager david.lautenschlager at mcdata.com
Tue Oct 22 08:44:17 PDT 2002

Grub can easily be viewed as more error tolerant, since even if you are "daft enough to have not set it up with a rescue kernel" it will still allow you to boot.

If I set up Grub good enough to work at all, it is set up good enough to save me from much of my own mistakes. If I set up LILO good enough to work, I could easily be screwed. With LILO I have to think ahead while setting it up in order to make it as error tolerant a Grub. By default Grub provides a flexible rescue option, with LILO the user must set it up.

Assuming you use it right LILO is just as good and maybe better than GRUB. However in a teaching environment that is not a valid assumption, especially since neither the LILO documentation (last time I read it which was a while ago) nor LFS tells you to set it up with a rescue kernel. Those of us with experience know better, but even we sometimes are lazy and get caught when we screw it up.

Grub is more dummy proof than LILO. For some people (or situations) this is not an advantage for others it is.

The problem with this thread is that people are arguing which is better in general (or for their own personal purposes), instead of trying to determine which is best for this particular situation.

later,

David Lautenschlager

P.S. I wouldn't call Gerard daft if I was you. It kind of reduces the chance that he will be convinced by your arguments.