GRUB vs. LILO and how STUPID the X86 architecture really is...

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Oct 22 10:24:35 PDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:42:36 +0000 (UTC)
david.lautenschlager at mcdata.com ("David Lautenschlager") wrote:

> If I set up LILO good enough to work, I could easily be screwed.

Huh? how.

> With
> LILO I have to think ahead while setting it up in order to make it as
> error tolerant a Grub.

no, not really.

cd /usr/src/linux
make install

runs lilo for you.

> By default Grub provides a flexible rescue option, with LILO the user
> must set it up.

Not really. If you cant be bothered to set up LILO properly, its as bad
as not setting anything else up (bootloader or otherwise) properly.

The book already does manual setups for some packages (eg. glibc) and
copies files other packages dont install properly.

Why then, is it not reasonable to have a proper lilo setup (with rescue
kernel in the lilo.conf file) in the book? lilo.conf is only LILOs
config file. its not like anyones asking you to alter the default
install of the package itself...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org