Shadowfax (LFS server) is in need for a new home

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 23 20:54:18 PDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:39:46PM -0400, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> It seems to me also that mirroring all the packages isn't really
> necessary. True, that would mean no simple, single tarball to download,
> but maybe that would encourage certain cable/dsl users to hang onto
> their sources longer which would be good for everyone.

Agreed.

For me, scouring the net for packages is half the fun of LFS. I have
never downloaded the source packages from the LFS server (or mirrors)
and could never understand how the LFS project could just "give away"
all that bandwidth.

This possibly gets back to the "too much handholding" thread. Instead of
"here, download this mega tarball from the LFS server" why not "go to the
appendix and follow the URL's to download the individual packages from the
official download locations"

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org