Shadowfax (LFS server) is in need for a new home

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 23 22:33:36 PDT 2002

On October 23, 2002 09:54 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> This possibly gets back to the "too much handholding" thread. Instead of
> "here, download this mega tarball from the LFS server" why not "go to the
> appendix and follow the URL's to download the individual packages from the
> official download locations"

Well another reason for it is that the official sites might go down at any
time. LFS doesn't go down as long as I'm around to mother the server so the
tarballs are always around. It wasn't done out of a hand-holding perspective,
just simple and pure convenience.

It's just easier getting it from one place. I personally don't particularly
enjoy having to go to a dozen sites to get all the files. Then you get busy
logins, have to find a mirror, hope the mirror carries the latest release and
so on (remembering KDE annoyances trying to grab the latest version
somewhere).

But, hey, my annoyance might be something you look forward to. To each his own
eh ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org