LFS 4.0 "You should not ...

Gordon Shamblin gshamblin at azalea.net
Thu Oct 24 21:38:04 PDT 2002

Just finished LFS 4.0.  All seemed to go well with a few typos.

First time I logged on to lfs got to
    Starting kernel log daemon ...                            [   OK    ]
    Bringing up the eth0 interface...
    SIOCSIFADDR: No Such Device
    eth0: unknown interface: No such device
    SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
    SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
    eth0: unknown interface: No such device             [FAILED]
    Setting up default gateway...
    SIOCADDRT: No such device                             [FAILED]

(in red):
"You should not be reading this error.  It means that an unforeseen
error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S20network, which exited with a
return value of 7.

If unable to track this error down to a bug in one of the files provided
by the LFS book please be so kind to inform us at
lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org "

(no red)
Press Enter to continue...

Then the login prompt and I am able to log in

Sorry, I am a newbie and I wouldn't have the first idea of where to
start to track this error down.

When I shutdown, it goes to 'Removing default gateway...' with OK then
    SIOCDELRT: No such process                                [FAILED]
     Bringing down the eth0 interface...
     etho: unknown interface: No such device                   [FAILED]

(in red):
"You should not ....  in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K80network, which exited with a
return value of 255"

"If ...."

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore what I put in for networking.  It seemed
"reasonable" at the time.
Only significant deviation from the instructions was when I tried to
 umount $LFS    Response was that it was busy.  Don't remember if I was
root at the time.  I shutdown and got lilo.

BTW.  Love the book.  I've been going round and round with Redhat,
Debian,.....  looking for help, giving up, trying again.... on and off
for several months.  I'm not sure what all I've learned with LFS, but
certainly a lot.  And though I haven't actively participated, I
certainly appreciated the demeanor on lfs-support and the news groups.

Anything else I can provide, please don't hesitate.  I'm looking forward
to BLFS.

Gordon Shamblin

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org