From glibc-2.2.x to glibc-2.3.x

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 25 11:45:06 PDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:58:21 +0100 Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk>
wrote:

> Original idea by Alfred Zastrow
>
> As mentioned in previous postings there are dificulties building
> an LFS system using the above libraries as base and target.
>
> This method has built LFS successfully.  I have changed the install
> commands for glibc as follows:

[snip massive changes, lots of work]

> quite a few packages fail to install with the above nss file.

I have a bad feeling about this.

> The the build sequence has been modified;

Have you checked for hardcoded paths? Since the /static separation was
introduced, the build order is *very* fragile.

Why do you prefer this to the LD_LIBERRY_PATH hack? It's much more work
and much more likely to break things because unlike the LD_LIBERRY_PATH
hack it not only affects the /static binaries but also the chapter 6
binaries, and unlike the LD_LIBERRY_PATH hack which only affects bash, tar
and ls, the nsswitch affects *all* binaries.

Furthermore, don't forget that the segfault issue is a one time thing. You
only encounter it when you build a glibc-2.3 system on a glibc-2.2 system.
If your host already has glibc-2.3, you don't need to do anything.
Your solution would require a lot of changes spread out over the whole of
the LFS book, thereby affecting everyone, even the people who don't have
issues because their host runs glibc-2.3 already.
The LD_LIBERRY_PATH hack on the other hand is a simple set of commands
that can be put into chapter 5 like this:

If your host system runs glibc-2.2, then issue the following commands. If
your host runs glibc-2.3 or later, then skip them:
[insert LD_LIBERRY_PATH hack]

Do you see any benefits of the nsswitch hack that would make it preferable
for the LFS book?

MSB

--
Democracy is when the people has the right to make the wrong choices.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org