/tmp/*

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Sat Oct 26 03:18:17 PDT 2002

* Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [2002-10-26 09:10]:
> Hi.
>
> Once again, I bring up this topic.
>
> We really need to remove the contents of /tmp when we boot.
>
> I just (again) had X-windows refuse to start because of this.
>
> It saves a lock file (/tmp/.X0-lock) and wont start until it is removed.
>
> We should clean it along with /var/run
>
> Which brings me on to a related point...
>
> how the HELL do you get rm to delete hidden files when you do rm -rf
> /tmp/* ?

The other way to do it:

tmp      /tmp      tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec
var_tmp  /var/tmp  tmpfs nosuid,nodev,size=2000M,nr_inodes=100000
var_run  /var/run  tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
var_lock /var/lock tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755

Make sure you have enough swap for whatever you are doing in /var/tmp
Make sure you umount before swap off.
Make sure your users know that things will dissappear next reboot.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org