/tmp/*

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sat Oct 26 04:58:26 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Ian Molton wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:15:59 +0000 (UTC)
>Christophe Devine <devine at iie.cnam.fr> wrote:
>
>> > We really need to remove the contents of /tmp when we boot.
>>
>> If you can lots of RAM, this can be done using a temporary filesystem
>>
>> tmpfs       /tmp        tmpfs   defaults               0 0
>
>I dont like tmpfs for /tmp. As I understand it, its a dynamic ramdisc,
>and as such, will be limited to sizeof(swap) + sizeof(ram) - a little
>bit.
>
>I have a gig of swap, but still, I like to have /tmp on disc...

However, it does have the *potential* to make things run faster. Consider
that a great deal of ram is used for buffers and cache. Unfortunately,
much of this is idle due to the long times before the vm throws them
out. If you have tmpfs that is *reasonably* active, there is the
possibility that unneeded buffers and cache will be used for the tmpfs
files and reduce head movement. If the tmpfs activity is *too* high, then
there may still be some gain because swap access should be a tad faster
than normal fs access, although head movement could be a little higher
than in the ideal scenario.

Of course, all depends on the activity profile because we could get into
"thrashing" situations under extreme conditions.

What would be ideal is automatic placement of small /tmp files on the
tmpfs and "large" ones on a real partition.

Is it me, or didn't this come up way-back-when?

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org