/tmp/*

tristan twem2-lfs at eridu.org.uk
Sat Oct 26 06:07:40 PDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 11:18:17AM +0100, Richard Lightman wrote:
> * Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [2002-10-26 09:10]:

> The other way to do it:
>
> tmp      /tmp      tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec
> var_tmp  /var/tmp  tmpfs nosuid,nodev,size=2000M,nr_inodes=100000
> var_run  /var/run  tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
> var_lock /var/lock tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
>
> Make sure you have enough swap for whatever you are doing in /var/tmp
> Make sure you umount before swap off.
> Make sure your users know that things will dissappear next reboot.

/var/tmp is expected to be longer term temporary storage space, and is
expected by some applications to stay between reboots.

looking in my /var/tmp there are compiled texfonts which I'd certainly
like to stay there between bootups to save time when generating
documents (generating fonts can take a fair while, especially with large
documents)

I'd advise against using tmpfs for /var/tmp having manual clearouts
every once in a while.

Although this is of course LFS so its up to you :-)

Tristan