/tmp/*

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Oct 26 10:14:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:01:18 -0400 "Seth W. Klein" <sk at sethwklein.net>
wrote:

> For those who object that someone might loose a file stored in /tmp
> if it's cleared on boot: /var/tmp is for stuff like that.

"/var/tmp" is more typing and in fact it's not unreasonable to symlink
/var/tmp and /tmp if you have only one partition. I do this just like I
symlink /usr/bin and /bin.

>Since the
> FHS recommends (mandates?)

It's just a recommendation. Besides, the LFS book does not (and must not)
assume that the system is built FHS compliant. One of the main arguments
in the discussion whether cleanfs should by default wipe /tmp was that
this could hurt someone badly who doesn't read the scripts (most don't)
and doesn't expect this (because not all distros do this). On the other
hand not clearing /tmp by default does not cause serious complications.
The X lock file issue is the only issue people in favor of the wipe have
come up with and the message output by X makes it crystal clear what the
problem is so that it's easy to see and fix.

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org