/tmp/*

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Oct 26 12:34:25 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:30:43 +0100 Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> Who *really* uses /tmp to store files they want to keep? the very name
> suggests otherwise!

I use it as a TeMPorary location for files till I've checked if I want to
keep them and move them to their final location, e.g. downloads. It should
be obvious that I don't want to lose my downloads just because I haven't
managed to deal with all of them before bedtime.
I also use /tmp for trying out stuff. When I tried out xprint for instance
I installed it into /tmp. I still have lbreakout2 lying around in /tmp,
too, because I've not yet decided whether I want to keep it.
The word "temporary" does not imply "lives less than 12 hours".

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org