From glibc-2.2.x to glibc-2.3.x

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Oct 26 17:34:30 PDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:46:08AM +1100, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Just another data point, I have downloaded the latest Rawhide SRPM and it
> has all 6 symbols re-exported, just like in the proposed patch. There is a
> comment in the code that says:-
>
> "/* Temporarily exported until all .a libraries are recompiled.  */"
>
> which pretty well confirms what Roland McGrath said.

More data points:-

 - "make check" still passes with the patch applied

 - Debian has integrated the (similar) patch:-

glibc (2.3.1-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * GOTO Masanori <gotom at debian.or.jp>
    - debian/patches/librt-mips.dpatch: librt is not worked on
      mips/mipsel architecture, we apply it until sarge will be
      released. Thanks to Guido Guenther <agx at sigxcpu.org>.
    - debian/patches/glibc23-ctype-compat.dpatch: added.
      glibc 2.3.x changes some symbols (__ctype_b, __ctype_toupper,
      __ctype_tolower) as hidden attribute. These symbols that are
      crashing the old 2.2.x dynamic linking code in static binaries
      are now exported.
      This patch is originally pulled from RedHat patch, I modified
      it for current debian glibc. Closes: #165554

 -- GOTO Masanori <gotom at debian.or.jp>  Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:04:48 +0900

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org