/tmp/*

Gintautas gmlists at centras.lt
Sun Oct 27 03:26:03 PST 2002

Hello,

As far as I can see, this /tmp cleaning issue sparked an interesting
discussion, and I thought it might be interesting for you to hear my
opinion.

Personally, I don't think /tmp should be used actively by the user.
Excuse me for a poor and flame-attracting analogy, but I see /tmp as
C:\WIN{D|BL}OWS\TEMP. For those (few) of you stuck with windows, I
suppose you aren't using it for temporarily placing your files, etc.
It's a directory for the system, where e.g. setup self-extractors unzip
or programs put their swap-files and other temporary (usually deleted
after exiting the program) stuff, and normally you shouldn't fiddle
around with it except to clean all the trash up. And it's totally OK to
clear it in the boot process.

I can hear the cries that "/tmp" is quick to type and "C:\WINDOW~1/TEMP"
isn't. That might be one of the causes of the correct users' attitude to
that directory :-) However, I'd like to propose a method I use.

I create a tmp directory in my home-dir and use that. It isn't much
longer to type ("~/tmp" instead of "/tmp"). First of all, it's more
multiuser-friendly: I don't like the idea of working in a directory
where other users are working too, it could cause confusion and is not
practical.  Another advantage of this if you have a separate /home
partition (like I do), it could save time, because in my system stuff
usually goes to 3 places: the unknown voids of /dev/null, the huge tip
of /usr or /usr/local or /opt/something, or, most probably somewhere in
my home directory, and that's where the advantage is -- when you move
files, they do not have to be copied over and then deleted, just
a rename is enough. In addition, some people like to partition their
disks so / is separate, in which case it is usually small (up to 100MB),
while usually abundant space is reserved for /home, so there's the
decreased danger of running out of disk space. In conclusion, I don't
see any real disadvantages of this method.

There is one special case, when quotas are involved. I am completely
incompetent in this field, but I have the impression that in some
systems quotas are imposed on home directory sizes, and if you need some
extra [very] temporary space, you may write to /tmp. My counter-argument
to this would be that you should never expect anything in /tmp to live:
let's say the administrator sees that diskspace is approaching critical
levels and he sees that /tmp usage is high (be it you who filled it or
not), s/he might just clean /tmp without much pain.  If you need to put
persistent data, go ask to increase your quota. If that is refused,
then, well, tough luck.

My proposed solution would be to make the scripts clean /tmp, but write
a warning about that IN CAPITAL LETTERS in the book (and you could also
include simple instructions on how to bypass this cleaning-up on boot in
case something goes very wrong). Those who don't like this behaviour may
edit and comment out the "offending" commands, those who don't know
shell scripting will have to learn the right way of doing things. And I
don't really give a damn about those who don't read the book and so
might miss this warning.

--
 Gintautas
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org