/tmp/*

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Oct 27 07:20:32 PST 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:30:19 +0100 Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:34:59 +0000 (UTC)
> matthias at winterdrache.de (Matthias Benkmann) wrote:
>
> > > Who *really* uses /tmp to store files they want to keep? the very
> > > name suggests otherwise!
> >
> > I use it as a TeMPorary location for files till I've checked if I want
> > to keep them and move them to their final location,
>
> Use somewhere else. like /var/tmp. thats not what /tmp is for.

It IS what /tmp is for on my system. My system, my rules!
If you want to type an additional 4 letters every time you want to store
something in a temporary location, that's your business.

> > The word "temporary" does not imply "lives less than 12
> > hours".
>
> IMO in this case it means 'not garaunteed to be safe'.

It has been guaranteed to be safe on any standard LFS system so far. And
it *will* remain like this, regardless of what the FHS or anyone else
says. There's no way I see Gerard changing the scripts to risk someone's
data just to accomodate some people's notion of "correctness".
So you might as well stop arguing for it (of course I know you won't :-),
because _it's_not_gonna_happen_!

MSB

--
For sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org