From glibc-2.2.x to glibc-2.3.x

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Oct 27 13:42:19 PST 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:40:41PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:33:38 +1100 Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > The Gentoo version of the patch is attached. Lets get it in the book and
> > get some widespread testing.
>
> Which book? Have I missed something here? Last time I checked, LFS was
> still using glibc 2.2.5

Yep. Jumping the gun a little bit me is. There is also the issue of gcc-3.2
not compiling "out-of-the-box" with glibc-2.3.

Methinks that the ideal time for glibc-2.3 to enter the book will be when
gcc-3.2.1 comes out. I have been regularly running the gcc testsuite out of
CVS and all is looking good. We still need the same gcc patches that we now
use for gcc-3.2. There is also a new binutils release in the works.

I have a feeling my next production machine will be based on:-

  glibc-2.3.1
  gcc-3.2.1
  binutils-2.13.1

and the whole thing will be prelinked!