lfs 4

Ronald Hummelink maillist at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 27 16:05:13 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 00:31, _YOyo wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 15:40, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 12:41, _YOyo wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i've got a problem.. when i reach chapter 6 (right after entering the
> > > chroot environment), when i try to do chown -R... it gives me an error
> > > like this bash: /static/bin/chown No such file or directory.
> > > i've seen an earlier post which said that recompiling sh-utils would do
> > > the trick. i did recompile the package but to no avail.
> > > any ideas?
> >
> > This belongs on lfs-support. (+ your subject is far from descriptive)
> >
> > >From outside chroot:
> > Verify its there: ls -al $LFS/static/bin/chown
> > is it static linked: ldd $LFS/static/bin/chown
> >
> > It is likely dynamic linked, be more careful entering compile command in
> > that case.
> >
> > Ronald
> >

> > --
> >

> sorry.. but last night at 2 am ...
> it's dynamic linked..
> i followed the book to the letter. could u tell me where could i post a
> bug?

As far as i know the sh-utils chapter 5 instructions have not been
changed in the recent past. Since you are the only one with problems,
you likely overlooked something. In fact they are the same as what i
used to build this week :-)

patch -Np1 -i ../sh-utils-2.0.patch

Install Sh-utils by running the following commands:

./configure --prefix=$LFS/static \
    --disable-nls &&
make LDFLAGS=-static &&
make install

Note there is a - (minus) sign in LDFLAGS=-static
You did start from a fresh source tree? Else you may well keep the
shared linked binaries as make considers them up to date. (no sources
have been touched)

Redo the chapter 5 sh-utils again and make sure they get installed
properly and make sure you do not make a typo (do not forget to re-set
LFS=/mnt/lfs and all either; else you (try to) install the static
binaries onto your host)

Ronald.