man page formatting with groff-1.18.1 vs groff-1.17.2

Steve Jones sljones3 at ualr.edu
Mon Oct 28 18:12:32 PST 2002

I have encountered a frustrating problem with the formatting of man
pages on my lfs-cvs system.  First of all since I've got a big monitor I
use 132 columns, If I use groff-1.18.1 the manpages do not format for my
screen width, they keep comming up at 80 cols.  I have tried all the
obvious fixes like the groff compatability switch in man.conf.  If I
downgrade to 1.17.2 then the man pages format corectly at 132 cols.
This really bothers me and I can find no information out there.

What little I have found on the groff mailing list is that some groff
default action has dissapeared and the man package needs to be changed
to reassert this action.  Since I know nothing about using groff macros
I was wondering if anyone else has a clue of how to fix this.

--
Steve Jones
sljones3 at ualr.edu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org