Creating directories (chapter 6)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 30 09:35:41 PST 2002

On October 26, 2002 12:17 pm, Chris Wesdorp wrote:
> In chapter 6 the first thing is creating the directories. Throughout the
> book different bash constructions are used in the commands, so here is
> mine. Why not change the for-loop to this:
>
> for dirname in /usr /usr/local
>     do
>     mkdir $dirname(bin,etc,include,lib,sbin,share,src}
>     ln -s share/{man,doc,info} $dirname
>     mkdir -p share/{dict,doc,info,locale,man/man{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8}}
>     mkdir share/{nls,misc,terminfo,zoneinfo}
> done
>

> it saves another line (to use that for an argument :-) ). For those who
> don't see the difference, take a look at line 5.

The reason it's not done is a purely an aesthetic reason. All the installation
instructions lines in the book are written in such a way that it doesn't span
more than one line based on a 80 columns line (which is the most common
size). Also, every block of commands is spaced out evenly so every line has
approximately the same length. It just looks better and that's the only
reason.

Yes, there are parts in the book where these two rules don't apply. I'm aware
of them and the reason they are that way is laziness. It's not a very high
priority fix to be made.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org