man page formatting with groff-1.18.1 fixed

Steve Jones sljones3 at ualr.edu
Thu Oct 31 17:24:34 PST 2002

Steve Jones wrote:

> After several days of studying the groff info pages I finally have a
> patch to man-1.5k that fixes the problem the correct way according to
> the groff developers.  This patch will cause the man page to be formated
> to the correct width of any terminal. I have tested it in text mode at
> 40, 80, and 132 columns and in an xterm at many different widths.
> Before pages were formatted for 80 columns in any term greater than 80
> columns, I don't know about less than.
>
> Since this problem occures even in xterms and the solution was defined
> by the groff developers I think it should be included in the book.

I just heard back from the maintainer and he likes it for the new groff!

I sent:

Subject: page width formating with groff 1.18.1
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:50:00 -0600
From: Steve Jones <sljones3 at ualr.edu>
To: aeb at cwi.nl

I was bit by the formating bug due to the use of .ll over LL on wide
terms with man-1.5k and groff 1.18.1

here's a patch that fixes it but I know more needs to be done to check
for the version of groff used, but here it is.

Steve Jones

Reply: