Static Bash Instructions

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Sep 1 03:38:12 PDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:04:22 +0200 Gintautas <gmlists at centras.lt> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > IMO, it would make more sense if we didn't display package
> > contents during chapter 5. Anyone else have a thought about
> > this?
>
> I like that idea. All packages are recompiled in chapter 6 anyway, where
> you can put all the info. This will reduce redundancy and bloat.
>
> OTOH, for people like me, who install from .txt format, educational
> value may suffer slightly, because of the lack of hyperlinks. But that's
> pretty much the only bad thing I could think of. Redundancy is not a
> good way of teaching in books anyway.

I use the txt version myself and the most annoying thing is the bloat
IMHO. Especially the package dependencies waste a lot of space. These are
a good candidate for elimination from chapter 5 (personally I'd prefer it
if they were in an extra appendix in the form of a dependency tree), too.
In chapter 5 the dependencies are mostly irrelevant (the host should
satisfy the all).

MSB

--
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org