Happy testing - gcc-3.2 and other commited

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Sep 1 02:31:30 PDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Whatever versions are in CVS now will be the final versions for LFS-4.0 unless
> an upgrade is absolutely necesarry. This'll give us proper time to test the
> current versions without having to re-test everything when we upgrade.

 I'd already started a build of the 23rd August CVS, with similar changes
(gcc-3.2 with Greg's patches, glibc-2.2.5 with the full patches,
util-linux-2.11u, perl-5.8.0, automake-1.6.3), I'm just about finished the
applications on the second build (i.e. using this version to build
itself). The cpu is a K6/2.

 The only thing I think I'm missing from the current book is the groff
update.

 Just about everything I've tried works. All built -Os, both
applications/libraries and the LFS packages, except where my CFLAGS are
ignored or overridden (e.g. libpng -Os -O3).

Console apps: which, lynx, fortune, joe, linux_logo, strace, cdrtools,
pciutils, ncftp, hdparm. ntp compiles, but I haven't got the config sorted
on my other box which should be serving it, so not tested.

X, and related (ok, some of these aren't strictly X): openssl, pcre,
libxml2, libxslt, lcms, jpeg, libpng, tiff, libungif, libmng, glib-1,2,
gtk+-1,2, imlib, icewm, tcl, tk, ImageMagick, libIDL, libxml, zip, unzip,
mozilla-1.1.

None of these apps needed any patches. They're not all the absolute latest
versions (actual version numbers available if anyone has problems, use
blfs-support). Of course, I'm not using the full range of features within
them, so YMMV.

Lesspipe-1.34.tar.gz fails. It builds, but I only get a line of output
before the pipe is closed. For those who don't know, this is a complex
shellscript which can allow such things as looking at the members in a
compressed tar, not just the member list. I suspect a perl problem, but I
haven't attempted to track it down yet. Most people don't need this level
of functionality in `less'. If I sort it, I'll follow up my own post on
lfs-support.

I think it looks good for LFS-4. I'll repeat in a week or so (should take
me less time now my scripts are sorted).

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org