[website] favicon not visible

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 1 15:30:43 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 05:52, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> I just noticed that the LFS website does not have the following in its
> <head> section
>
> <link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
>

> And like most web servers the LFS server does not return the correct MIME
> type for the favicon.ico which causes Mozilla to try to display it as text
> when entering the favicon URL directly. The following should be added to
> the top-level .htaccess
>
> AddType image/x-icon ico

Easier/simpler solution... use a PNG image for the HTML shortcut icon
image tag.  MSIE will still use whichever one Microsoft thinks will
annoy non-MS users more, and everyone else's will certainly be able to
handle the PNG version...  Then no changes need to be made to the
webserver configuration due to the lack of a kludge-around.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org