how to check dependencies of packages

Dieter Scholz dscholz at reido.de
Thu Sep 5 02:58:54 PDT 2002

Hello,

hope this is the correct group...

Currently I'm working on a Java application that automates the build of a
LFS-system.

My approach is to handle package build instructions and the complete system
build separate from each other (not how ALFS does it at the moment). My aim
is to have a pluggable build tree where one can add/remove packages using a
gui.

For this project it's absolutly necessary to know what kind of dependencies
a package has. I saw the dependencies list in the book, so here are my
questions:

Is there a reliable way to find out (automatically) what build time/run time
dependencies (programs/libraries/packages/config files) a package has?
Is it possible to separate necessary from optional dependencies?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dieter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org