LDFLAGS=-static

Nico R. n-roeser at gmx.net
Thu Sep 5 04:37:31 PDT 2002

Hi,

"Timothy Bauscher" <timothy at linuxfromscratch.org> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:20020902185858.GA23338 at shadowfax...
[...]
> It was discovered that for some people, on specific software
> packages only, LDFLAGS=-static as an arg to make was being
> ignored. Thus, it is passed before configure now on these
> offending packages.
>
> I've discovered recently that it is also needed before static
> gawk on my uclibc system. Perhaps setting LDFLAGS before
> configure is something we should consider changing globally.

A friend of mine just reported to me that commands like
LDFLAGS=-static ./configure --foo=bar

do not work as we expect, i.e. like

export LDFLAGS=-static
./configure --foo=bar
unset LDFLAGS

when using a Debian host system. We could not yet track this down
completely, but that host system is using bash version
2.05a.0(1)-release, so the problem is perhaps not caused by bash. Or
Debian uses a special configuration for it.

We should perhaps change all

FOO=bar command

instructions back to

export FOO=bar
command
unset FOO

or at least put a note about that in the book.

Comments?

Have fun,
--
Nico