how to check dependencies of packages

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Sep 5 09:43:02 PDT 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:30:32 +0200 "Dieter Scholz" <dieter_scholz at gmx.de>
wrote:

> If I get you right you would propose:
>
> 1 - use strace while doing the configure|make|make install process to
> find out what files are requested (what system calls do I have to look
> for)
>
> 2 - create a database witch contains all installed files from all
> installed packages (again, what system calls)
>
> 3 - compare the results from 1 with this database
>
> If I'm right -> Are there any tools/scripts that could help me with this
> process?

One utility is ParseTrace which you can find at

http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/utilities.html

If you build an LFS system with the hint

http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt

you don't need a database because on such a system ParseTrace will output
the names of the files together with the packages they come from.

MSB

--
Who is this General Failure,
and why is he reading my disk ?