kernel headers

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu Sep 5 15:18:43 PDT 2002

I have a minor concern about how we install the kernel headers at the
start of chapter 6, or rather what we dont install later on. At present
/usr/include/linux/autoconf.h is an empty file created with touch after
copying the headers from an essentially unconfigured kernel tree.

I just came across a missing define used by microcode_ctl, the Intel
microcode update utility, CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT, which should come
from autoconf.h (via linux/config.h via asm/processor.h). I wouldn't
even have noticed this, since the makefile includes
/usr/src/linux/include, if the kernel tree top dir hadn't been changed
to linux-$VERSION.

Probably not a big deal since its never come up before, but for a sense
of tidiness i propose copying autoconf.h, and while we're there
compile.h, to /usr/include/linux after the kernel build in chapter 8.

Any thoughts ?

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org