kernel headers

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Fri Sep 6 01:57:05 PDT 2002

On 2002.09.05 23:29 Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:18:43PM +0100, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > I have a minor concern about how we install the kernel headers at
> the
> > start of chapter 6, or rather what we dont install later on. At
> present
> > /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h is an empty file created with touch
> after
> > copying the headers from an essentially unconfigured kernel tree.
> >
> > I just came across a missing define used by microcode_ctl, the Intel
>
> > microcode update utility, CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT, which should
> come
> > from autoconf.h (via linux/config.h via asm/processor.h). I wouldn't
>
> > even have noticed this, since the makefile includes
> > /usr/src/linux/include, if the kernel tree top dir hadn't been
> changed
> > to linux-$VERSION.
> >
> > Probably not a big deal since its never come up before, but for a
> sense
> > of tidiness i propose copying autoconf.h, and while we're there
> > compile.h, to /usr/include/linux after the kernel build in chapter
> 8.
> >
> > Any thoughts ?
>
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/03/0439.html
>
> (read the whole thread)

I remember it well, and agreed with most of it too. I suppose the issue
is
whether this is an architecture specific piece of information that is
unlikely to change between kernel versions. Anything that is dependent
on version
should of course be accessed via /lib/modules/$VERSION/build. I'll see
if the
microcode authors have an opinion the issue.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org