kernel headers

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 09:00:29 PDT 2002

Richard Lightman wrote:

>* Christophe Devine <devine at iie.cnam.fr> [2002-09-06 12:37]:
>

>>In article <20020905221843.GA643 at ElCapitan.oval.net>, Mark Ellis wrote:
>>

>>>Probably not a big deal since its never come up before, but for a sense
>>>of tidiness i propose copying autoconf.h, and while we're there
>>>compile.h, to /usr/include/linux after the kernel build in chapter 8.
>>>

>>You're right; the NVIDIA kernel module also needs /usr/include/linux to
>>be copied after the kernel compilation; otherwise the build fails.
>>It could be worth adding a note in the book, after chapter 8, saying :
>>" You may need to copy the kernel headers once again, if you plan to
>>build kernel modules for third-party vendors. "
>>

>That will just cause trouble. If you have to do this, copy the old
>header files back afterwards. It would be better to fix the build
>process to use /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/

One option is to do a make config (not a yes "" | make config) && make
depend before copying the kernel headers. That way the kernel will be
configured the way the user wants it in Chapter 6 and doesn't need to be
repeated in Chapter 8 (If I remember, that was the major reason why the
entire step was eliminated). I don't know what the dependencies are for
doing a "make config && make depend" so the approach may not work.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org