kernel headers

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Fri Sep 6 09:51:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:00:29AM -0500, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> One option is to do a make config (not a yes "" | make config) && make
> depend before copying the kernel headers. That way the kernel will be
> configured the way the user wants it in Chapter 6 and doesn't need to be
> repeated in Chapter 8 (If I remember, that was the major reason why the
> entire step was eliminated). I don't know what the dependencies are for
> doing a "make config && make depend" so the approach may not work.

make config is much harder for a newbie to get through. He can't go back
and change anything without starting over, and menuconfig requires
ncurses. I like Matthias' approach. Everytime a package expects things
where they should not be, the maintainers need to be notified.

--
Archaic

--
Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of
himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?

- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org