Static Bash Instructions

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sat Sep 7 09:01:27 PDT 2002

Jamie Bennett <jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk> wrote:

> > From: Matthias Benkmann [mailto:matthias at winterdrache.de]
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:19:17 +0100 Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I like the package dependencies.
> >
> >So do I. But I like them IN ONE PLACE (dependency tree in an Appendix)
> >rather than spread out over the book.
>
> Am I overstating the obvious but couldn't we just use a different
> style sheet to produce the book with package dependencies and
> a version striped of them (or moved). That way we can choose
> which version we read depending on our background/quest for
> knowledge? That's the beauty of XML isn't it?

No, XML doesn't do transformations. For that you need a style sheet
(which could be expressed in XML, see XSL <http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/>)
and a processor. The book currently does not use such a style sheet.
It does use a DSSSL style sheet to transform from DocBook to HTML, but
to transform the book itself there would need to be a style sheet to
transform from "LFSBook" to DocBook.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org