Problem compiling Bash in 3.3

DavidC david at desolateonline.com
Sun Sep 8 09:06:36 PDT 2002

	Greetings all,

	I'm not sure if this should go to here or to lfs-support, so I apologize if
it's misplaced.

	I just got my first LFS system booted OK, but during the initial building of
it, in 3.3 Chapter 5 when installing Bash-2.05a, I encountered a strange and
frustrating problem. I wish I had written down the exact error for you, but I
still hope this can be of help.
	What happened was when running configure, it halted with an error which I
believe was about not being able to find 2 files. It looked like they were
files that were supposed to be in the build directory but weren't. I looked
in there, in the location given, and didn't see them. I checked the md5sum
and it matched fine, so I don't think it was a corrupted download.
	To get around this problem, I downloaded the same version of Bash from
gnu.org and used that instead. The only difference I can think of was I
downloaded it in tar.gz format instead. It worked fine.
	Oh, also, instead of trying to install it from within
$LFS/usr/src/sources/bash-2.05a, I copied it up one level to
$LFS/usr/src/bash-2.05a and did it from within there.

	Probably just a newbie error of mine or something, but I thought I should
report it just in case.

--
David C.
LFS User 4775