Installing GCC-3.2 problem.

Goldman Michael sgmm at math.technion.ac.il
Sun Sep 8 22:52:29 PDT 2002

Book version : cvs 20020907
Chapter 6 : Installing GCC-3.2
Mother system is KNOPPIX Linux on CD (Based on Debian) with
gcc 2.95.4, glibc-2.2.5, kernel-2.4.19-xfs.

I completed all previous steps without any problems.

While compiling GCC I have the following error :

  gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I. -I../../gcc-3.2/libiberty/../include
-W -Wall -Wtraditional -pedantic -fpic ../../gcc-3.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c
-o pic/cplus-dem.o; \
else true; fi
In file included from ../../gcc-3.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:41:
/static/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/include/stdio.h:561:30:
bits/sys_errlist.h: No such file or directory

make[1]: *** [cplus-dem.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/temp/gcc-build/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

I have feeling that compilation of gcc requires existence of previously
compiled glibc libraries (Am I right?) But somehow current gcc (compiled
in chapter 5) does not see that new libraries/includes in /usr/include and
/usr/lib, but goes to that strange directory where they were placed by
fixinclude while compiling gcc in chapter 5 (As far as I understood in
README located in that dir). Of course there are only part of include
files there, that's why it fails (I think).

Does anyone have any ideas to fix it?
I'll very appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Michael Goldman.
One can watch the sun through the telescope only twice in his life :
once with his right eye, and once with his left.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org