Installing GCC-3.2 problem.

Kelledin kelledin at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 9 17:20:50 PDT 2002

On Monday 09 September 2002 05:35 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:57:46PM -0500, Kelledin wrote:
> > The best thing to do would be to patch gcc so that it
> > doesn't run fixincludes.  This "fixincludes" thing is
> > getting to be a real hassle, and the more I think about it,
> > the more I think it was a bad idea from the start.
>
> Agreed. The way we use GCC in Chapter 5 kinda defeats the
> purpose of the fixincludes logic. And now it seems it is
> causing more problems than solving than them..  so lets piss
> it off.
>
> It makes more sense to leave it in for Ch 6 (even though at
> least one person on this list previously said it was fine to
> not use them in Ch 6 either).

I say leave it out for chapter 6 as well.  If someone compiles
software "such-and-such" in chapter 6, then gcc does the
fixincludes, then someone upgrades such-and-such later, anything
that wants to build against such-and-such's headers could end up
being farked.  Basically the fixincludes could cause things to
be compiled using system headers that really aren't in sync with
their accompanying system libraries.

Any problem where the fixincludes stuff might save our butts is
probably better solved by fixing the problematic headers
directly.  Besides which, I've never seen anything die from lack
of the "fixes," and I've been riding without the "fixed" headers
for ages.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"