Installing GCC-3.2 problem.

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Sep 9 20:36:23 PDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:20:50PM -0500, Kelledin wrote:
> > It makes more sense to leave it in for Ch 6 (even though at
> > least one person on this list previously said it was fine to
> > not use them in Ch 6 either).
>
> I say leave it out for chapter 6 as well.  If someone compiles
> software "such-and-such" in chapter 6, then gcc does the
> fixincludes, then someone upgrades such-and-such later, anything
> that wants to build against such-and-such's headers could end up
> being farked.  Basically the fixincludes could cause things to
> be compiled using system headers that really aren't in sync with
> their accompanying system libraries.
>
> Any problem where the fixincludes stuff might save our butts is
> probably better solved by fixing the problematic headers
> directly.  Besides which, I've never seen anything die from lack
> of the "fixes," and I've been riding without the "fixed" headers
> for ages.

Oh well, that makes it 2 people :-)

Cool, that'll make the patch simple as well. ie: same for Ch 5 & 6.

As an aside, I note that recent 3.3 builds are installing the
fixincludes stuff into:-

lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/install-tools

so one can run it afterwards (I assume). But this is in the future
so...

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org