problem getting the right permissions

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Sep 11 11:35:43 PDT 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 September 2002 13:02, Dan Osterrath wrote:
> > But I think you should at least know the basics as "ls", "cd", "man"
> > and so on. [...]
>
> We really should link to more information in the book. There are lots of
> relevant howto's, guides etc. which can be linked [...]

> [...] stresses the educational part of LFS but untill we properly
> reference other educational texts we should be prepared to educate
> newbies.

I agree that with educational value in mind, more links would be a good
thing. Not sure about the being prepared to educate...

For those who read well, respond well to suggestions of research like man,
FAQ, search the archives and so on, I have no hesitation helping them over
rough spots. For those who only want to massage their egos or put the load
onto others because they are not doing the reasearch/reading, I will not
devote my time.

For some, as we have seen in the past, the additional links are worthless.
They will not even carefully read and understand what is already there. So
the added workload on the editors of more links may not be offset by re-
duced help requests, especially from the *very* few we have seen that
cause this suggestion in the first place.

Sounds like a no-win situation to me.

> Groeten/Greetings
> Jeroen Coumans

Bill Maltby