problem getting the right permissions

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 12:28:43 PDT 2002

Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 11 September 2002 13:02, Dan Osterrath wrote:
>> > But I think you should at least know the basics as "ls", "cd",
>> > "man" and so on. [...]
>>
>> We really should link to more information in the book. There are
>> lots of relevant howto's, guides etc. which can be linked [...]

> For some, as we have seen in the past, the additional links are
> worthless. They will not even carefully read and understand what is
> already there. So the added workload on the editors of more links
> may not be offset by re- duced help requests, especially from the
> *very* few we have seen that cause this suggestion in the first
> place.
>
> Sounds like a no-win situation to me.

I think it depends on the person.  Some of them will be no-win, but
others just need a push in the right direction.

I remember getting UNIX Power Tools many years ago; this book came
with a CD.  There was only one UNIX box with a CD at work, it was a
long time ago. So what do you do with bash-1.12.tar.Z; it took some
figuring and asking people.

I suggest that we recomend that people consider having a Linux book to
hand.  Is there still "The Idiot's Guide".  Most of the questions
are just not understanding the instructions.  We can say -- read the
FAQ -- this is how to do this -- read the man pages.  99% will get
through and the odd one will fail

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org