Happy testing - gcc-3.2 and other commited

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 11 18:44:08 PDT 2002

On August 27, 2002 06:35 am, Greg Schafer wrote:
> This is even more important now that we are using --enable-__cxa_atexit
>
> No time to go into great detail right now but I will happily do so if
> you need further clarification. In fact, I will anyway, as it really needs
> to be on the record somewhere.
>
> But in the meanwhile, I urge you to revert the change.

Seems I was too quick with that. I tested an install, saw my chapter 5 gcc did
find the .hidden support as it should and all was well. I thought it was a
gcc only problem, and since gcc-3.1 detected binutils properly I didn't think
that patch was necessary.

Just to reiterate: you're saying that even if you use gcc-3.1, the bug will
still show up if the host system's binutils isn't sufficiently new enough? If
that's the case, can't we fix this even easier by running this:

	PATH=$LFS/static/bin:$PATH ./configure \
		./gcc-3.2/configure --prefix=/static <and the rest here>

That would make GCC find the just compiled binutils from chapter 5 first,
which is a new enough version, which then in turn should result in a properly
compiled gcc and later on glibc?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org