Static Bash Instructions

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 11 19:02:09 PDT 2002

On September 3, 2002 02:18 pm, Rob Park wrote:
> That is why I suggested to make it a separate version of the book, so
> that weirdos like you can keep your package contents ;)

That's an idea I've been toying with for a long time: Dynamic LFS Books (the
DLFSB project if you will). The book is written in XML, allows for awesome
tricks. You could "tag" (not the official XML term but this way it's easier
to understand) all the contents, command explanations, dependencies,
installation instructions, and so on. Then you can simply enable or disable
all such tags. Say you disable all contents "tags", then no section in the
book will contain the package's contents (except for the listing in appendix
a, unless you go as far as tagging actual chapters and then you can generate
a book with only a select number of chapters and sections).

All it requires is update a few entities and the index.xml file, then
re-generate the book on your system (only takes a minute) and voila your own
personalized LFS book. Is it easy to do? Fairly easy. Why hasn't it been done
yet? It's gonna take some time to do it, quite the job to redo a lot of the
XML structure. Needs lots of time. It'll happen, some day.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org