problem getting the right permissions

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Sep 11 13:11:23 PDT 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Timothy Bauscher wrote:

> I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm simply offering my opinion :)
>
> 1. The LFS book should be targeted towards medium to advanced
>    linux users.
> 2. The purpose of this book is to educate. Education is
>    not worthless, even if the opportunity to learn is ignored
>    by the receiving party.
> 3. I have seen the education level of our "readers" drop during
>    the short time I've been here. I believe this is due to
>    hand-holding, which is leading to a copy+paste audience whom
>    ask for help before attempting to solve a problem for
>    themselves.
>
> Those who do not wish to be educated should not be able to
> finish the book.

 I'm (regrettably) inclined to agree. There seem to be a lot of people
trying LFS with hardly any linux experience. I think there is a lot that
people need to learn before installing LFS, particularly if it's their
only machine. I'm surprised at the number of people who arrive without
having already compiled a kernel.  Also, most people *need* to play with
at least one distro to know what they don't like about it!

 I think people asking for help at an early stage is fine (your point 3)
because often you need experience to interpret error messages, but they
have to be willing to learn.

 Could listar be modified to put a *brief* invitation to use the search
facility onto lfs-support mails ?

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org