LFS Dependencies

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu Sep 12 21:16:22 PDT 2002

I'm sure its too late for LFS 4.0, but one section I think is missing is
a dependency list for LFS itself. In other words, we need to document
what is the oldest version of gcc, glibc, binutils, make, etc that the
host distro has to have in order to install the software required in
chapter 5.  This needs to be put into the book fairly early with
instructions that detail how to tell what version of the critical
packages are in the host disto.

Let me expand on the problem.  I'm teaching a class on advanced Linux
and am using LFS as a teaching tool.  The first thing we did was to
install a base distro on an empthy hard drive.  Since we had about 16
systems going at once, we used several distros we had to do some
parallel installs.  Some of the CDs were RH 6.2 and others SuSE 7.1.
 Now some of the class is running into problems with the newer packages
and I'm having to come up with workarounds that uses class time that
shouldn't be necessary.

The closest parts of the book that I can see are the sections "How
things are going to be done" and "Which Platfrom?", but they really
don't address the issue.

I am suggesting a section "What you need to have to build LFS".

Is this worthy of an entry into LFS bugzilla?

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org