LFS Dependencies

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 12 22:11:42 PDT 2002

On September 13, 2002 12:16 am, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Is this worthy of an entry into LFS bugzilla?

It's already part of a thing I'm working on called the "self diagnostic
scripts". Simple set of scripts that perform all kinds of tests on your
system to make sure LFS is installed properly (ie: when in chap5 it'll check
to make sure all programs are linked statically). Right now it does two basic
checks as part of the pre-LFS checks: it'll check for the libcurses.a symlink
to libncurses.a and will check which Glibc version you have. Depending on
what version you have it'll tell you which packages will cause problems,
which will not install, which ones need the patches applies (such as the
sh-utils patch to name one).

These tests can be expanded indefinitely until all known problems are taken
care off. It'll also handle installation log files for you if you choose to
use the scripts. It's my wish that LFS'ers start using these scripts once
they are finished so they can provide us with some info we need on
lfs-support. IE: people often don't know what their Glibc version is. The
script will tell you what version you have. And the various output will tell
us more what went on (maybe something not linked statically, etc).

I had planned to have a major portion of this diagnostics scripts done for
LFS-4 but I ran out of time (the cross-country move and all). It's pretty
high priority for me as soon as I'm done moving next week and will put some
time into getting a first release done.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org