superfluous /usr/lib/*.so symbolic links

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.ca
Fri Sep 13 06:32:46 PDT 2002

Hi guys,

    I noticed in the CVS changelog that Gerard decided to remove one of the
sets of .so symlinks from some of the packages. from what I can tell by
browsing through the ncurses instructions, the wrong set of symlinks were
deleted.  As far as I understand, the .so symlinks in /lib are the ones that
should be removed, not the ones in /usr/lib (which is what CVS does now).

Rather that go over the whole issue again. Here are links to the revelant
discussions from last month:

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/08/0282.html

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/08/0634.html

To back this up look at the way links are created by glibc and the way
shared libraries are aranged in various Linux distributions (presonally I
only really looked at Debian since it's what I had handy, but I tend to
think they would have done their homework).

Jack Brown

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org